Thursday, June 23, 2005

Let's Talk About Moonbats!

So I took a couple of days off. So what? I had to attend to my real life, and, honestly, I was too tired and sick to be pissed off. That’s my problem, sometimes, accepting that real life can intercede in this bullshit. Well not this time, bucko! I need this crap. Helps keep the head and the heart sane.

Now, then, there’s a lot of crap to talk about, but I’m not talking about it today. Today, I’m talking about moonbats. Wingnuts. You pick the title you want. I’m talking about extremists, and why they’re such a goddamn pain in the ass. Power. Power is the reason. Give a goddamn moonbat an inch and they try to take the whole damn world.

What are you on about, you ask? Well,this story about the Dominionist movement. For those of you not familiar with this lovely little group, let’s review, shall we?

“Dominionists preach that Jesus has called them to build the kingdom of God in the here and now, whereas previously it was thought that we would have to wait for it. America becomes, in this militant biblicism, an agent of God, and all political and intellectual opponents of America’s Christian leaders are viewed, quite simply, as agents of Satan. Under Christian dominion, America will no longer be a sinful and fallen nation but one in which the Ten Commandments form the basis of our legal system, Creationism and “Christian values” form the basis of our educational system, and the media and the government proclaim the Good News to one and all. Aside from its proselytizing mandate, the federal government will be reduced to the protection of property rights and “homeland” security. Some Dominionists (not all of whom accept the label, at least not publicly) would further require all citizens to pay “tithes” to church organizations empowered by the government to run our social-welfare agencies, and a number of influential figures advocate the death penalty for a host of “moral crimes,” including apostasy, blasphemy, sodomy, and witchcraft. The only legitimate voices in this state will be Christian. All others will be silenced.

To clarify, Dominionists believe that the wonderful history of extremist Christianity (you know, Crusades, Inquisitions, Boiling in Oil, all that fun stuff?) is something that should be applied first here at home, then widened out on a global scale, so we can shit the “Good News” that people can no longer think for themselves, and that Papa Government and the Good Lord Jesus™ are there for them in their moment of need. Can’t decide whether to give the hubby a rim job, hummer, or vanilla missionary? Consult your local JesusCo™ official!

I hate this about humanity, this incessant need for some sort of ideology to tell us how to get along in the world. I’m not denying that I also have a need to cling to an ideology as well at times, or that my ramblings on this site aren’t reflective of a need to make some sort of order out of the world. Hey, I get it, the world is confusing, and it’s scary to think that our real place is that we’re a bundle of flesh, nerves, and blood, and I can understand the need to make sense of all that. Hell, I consider myself a Christian, believe it or not. I’ve even read the Bible! So I’m not going to be like some assholes and call it a weakness, or brand those people who need ideology “weak”.

But see, there’s a difference between my ideology and the moonbat ideology, the key one being that, on the whole, you know, thinking is good. Of course, that’s not how it goes in moonbat land:

“He reminds us, quoting theologian Peter Berger, that “ages of faith are not marked by dialogue but by proclamation” and that “there is power in the unapologetic proclamation of truth. There is power in it. This is a kingdom of power.” When he says the word “power,” he draws it out for emphasis. He tells the crowd to shun the “persuasive words of human wisdom.” Truth, he says, does “not rest in the wisdom of men but the power of God.” Then, in a lisping, limp-wristed imitation of liberals, he mocks, to laughter and applause, those who want to “share” and be sensitive to the needs of others.

These same people demand that “we” be sensitive to “them”. I’m serious, look at the whining shit earlier in the article:

“Today, the calls for diversity and multiculturalism are nothing more than thinly veiled attacks on anyone willing, desirous, or compelled to proclaim Christian truths,” he says. “Today, calls for tolerance are often a subterfuge, because they will tolerate just about anything except Christian truth. Today, we live in a time when the message entrusted to you is more important than ever before to reach a world desperate to know Christ.

We have to tolerate them, even as they don’t tolerate us. Is it me, or does this shit make no goddamn sense? And, oh no, we might deny them the right to deny others rights! Whatever the fuck will we do?

“For the first time in history, representatives and senators may pass hate-crime legislation,” he says, “which is one step to oppose what you do as against the law.

Look, yes, I have my ideology, the catch is, I don’t think my ideology should rule the fucking Earth, and I certainly don’t think that people should accept the ideology without questioning it. Rational opposition is healthy, as it helps to examine the ideas that work. It’s only when the ideologies become giant, save-the-world, our-way-or-the-highway missions that we see these loopy, inane, turn-your-fucking-brain-off so Minister-Jackass-who’s-most-likely-only-in-this-for-the-power-money-and /or-pussy-can-tell-you-how-to-live circlejerks.

Here’s a newsflash for you retards: Jesus never, ever calls for violence against anybody, not even in Revelations. What fucking God are you following? Pat Robertson? Because he’s not my God. You are not Christians. You are some kind of new cult, with Jesus as a titular icon but otherwise totally detached from his teachings. You are the people in Mathew 7:21-23:

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.


You corrupt a good religion into one of hatred and intolerance, and the worst thing – THE WORST THING - about your “beliefs” is that they’re completely immune from any sort of rational attack. There is no consideration for others. If I dissent, I’m seduced by Satan, tricked by the liberal media, or afraid of the divine truth of our Lord Jesus Christ. And Christians like me would be heretics. Funny how that works.

On top of that, you are a threat to everything America stands for: democratic freedom, religious understanding, and cultural tolerance. That whole melting pot thing. And remember the pilgrims? Fleeing persecution? There’s some irony.

Here’s something else, and let me make this clear: it will be a cold day in Hell before I let your revolution take place; still, though I think you’re evil and the scum of the Earth, I won't work to close your churches, ban your rallies, or suppress your speech, as you would to your opposition. I won't use violence or the state to oppress you in any way. Preach your hate-filled jingoism all you want and I won't lift a finger. Hold revivals and protests till the supposed Rapture and I will stand by.

But the moment you try to use violence or the state to infringe on other citizens, I will no longer stand by. When your delusions turn into an actual attack on our civil liberties they cross a line that no one should ever cross, the line between being a group that I must tolerate and a group that I must stop. There is a line beyond which we will not tolerate an action that attacks democracy and liberty. This is it - if you relent, we will relent. If you do not, so be it.

Posted by crimnos @ 1:48 PM