Friday, September 16, 2005

I know! We'll Build a Catapult and Throw Money at the Problem!

I left Bush's speech this morning because I, frankly, didn't watch it last night and wanted time to read it and decide what I think about it.

Honestly? It stunk. No surprise there, I suppose, but let me clarify on why it stunk.

1. The part of the speech where he talked about the problems of the federal government and his own responsibility was pitiful. I don't know if it was because of negligence or cowardice, but he did not fully address the problems of the federal government response as was warranted, and his claim of responsibility, as I predicted, was pretty weak.

2. He still didn't address his plan to to cut some of the appropriations from the highway bill, like the bridge to Alaska, and use it for Katrina relief. Of course, I might have respected that, and there can't be any chance of that.

3. In terms of structure, they made a strategic mistake. They should have gone with the apology first, and make it stronger and more heartfelt, and then address what they would do next. That way he would restore some credibility, and then when talking about the future people would be more inclined to trust what he's saying.

4. Even though it was only used once, 9/11 should not have been used at all.

5. Throwing Money at the Problem. It just doesn't work without a vision. And Bush can claim vision all he wants. At this point, I want him to put up or shut up - every single "plan" he has come up with has been an utter diaster.

I mean, think about this. We're spending two-hundred billion in Iraq and another two-hundred billion for rebuilding the Gulf Coast? How on earth are we going to do this?

Anyway, there's more, but that's what bothered me the most. I'm not going to comment on all the spending proposals until I see the details. Honestly, it seems like he's trying to buy popularity, which is pretty sickening.

I do have to say, though, that the Post got it right on this one...he wasn't talking about rebuilding New Orleans, he was talking about rebuilding his Presidency. Always with the legacy, this bastard:

The main text of President Bush's nationally televised address last night was the rebuilding of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, but the clear subtext was the rebuilding of a presidency that is now at its lowest point ever, confronted by huge and simultaneous challenges at home and abroad -- and facing a country divided along partisan and racial lines.

Hurricane Katrina struck at the core of Bush's presidency by undermining the central assertion of his reelection campaign, that he was a strong and decisive leader who could keep the country safe in a crisis.

Posted by crimnos @ 12:28 PM