Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Miers said to be on the "Extreme End" Of Pro-Life Movement

You know, I was just saying yesterday that the Conservatives seem to protest too much about the Miers nomination, and what I’m reading elsewhere seems to be backing that assessment up. First I read that she comes from “the extreme inner circle” of Bush’s domain, and now I’m reading that she’s on the “extreme end” of the pro-life movement:

"She is on the extreme end of the anti-choice movement," said Lorlee Bartos who managed Miers' first and only political campaign and said they discussed abortion once during the race.

"I think Harriet's belief was pretty strongly felt," Bartos said Monday. "I suspect she is of the same cloth as the president."
….
Bartos said Miers told her she was "pro-choice in her youth" but underwent "a born-again, profound experience" that caused her to oppose abortion.


Seems like a stealth candidate. I'm hoping the Dallas City Council kept good records about her term there, as well as the Texas Bar Association. The only way we're going to be able to sort out what she brings to the table is to look at the trail.

I think we know where the conservatives are going with this: tossing Roe out, and having abortion recriminalized. If it does happen, we’ll see a backlash against Republicans by average Americans (a large majority of whom, despite some misgivings about abortion itself, clearly want the right to it to remain legal), but that’s pretty cold comfort for having the reproductive rights of women stolen away by people who think they know better.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: we have to be diligent in watching these Supreme Court nominees because the basic freedoms of our country are at stake; nothing less, and you know the old cliché about eternal vigilance. Here it rings true.

Posted by crimnos @ 8:49 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I am really baffled why people in "red state America" don't grasp and embrace the Clinton concept of abortion as being: legal, safe and RARE.

Posted by Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful @ 3:46 PM #
 
<< Home